We see from Evelyn Rodriguez's notes that Google's product development process includes:
- Iteration - Quickly and repeatedly produce a working version of the product for review, improving it with each iteration.
- Experimentation - Work on high-risk products and "research" the market demand and requirements by releasing the products quickly for feedback.
- Expedient solutions - Initially favor simple, good-enough solutions over complexity or perfection.
- Small teams collocated with product manager - Form teams of three developers and one product manager. Scale up to larger projects by dividing large teams into smaller "modules".
- Sparse documentation - Document requirements and design, but don't spend too much time up front.
- Has the facilitation skills to elicit and interpret feedback from users.
- Understands branding principles and how they influence product requirements.
- Clearly distinguishes problems from solutions.
- Champions the needs of the market.