Effective marketing communication requires discipline. The temptation is always there to
- Describe features instead of benefits.
- Tout too many benefits.
- Put more on the brochure rather than less.
- Use different messages and themes in different communications.
- Appeal to everyone (i.e. no one) instead of a targeted market segment.
Your product manager can play a constructive role in maintaining discipline in marketing communications. She can provide input to, and provide feedback on, the collateral prepared by marcom folks. She can also suggest disciplinary guidelines to counter the temptations that lead marketing communications astray.
Possible disciplinary guidelines include:
- Focus on benefits instead of features.
- Tout no more than three benefits.
- Place limits on font sizes.
- Mention certain key messages in every communication.
- Offend or turn someone off who is not in the target market.