Nature.com has a an article about the nearly instantaneous judgments people make when visiting web sites. Here are some of the most interesting points in the article:
- Lasting impressions of your site come within the first 50 milliseconds of viewing it.
- 60% of traffic to commercial web sites comes from search engines.
- 'Ccognitive bias' plays a role in the lasting impact from initial impressions; visitors continue to use a web site to "prove" to themselves that their initial decision was right.
- To be most effective, your web site should convey information in the simplest, quickest way possible.
- A couple of corporate web site guidelines: put your company logo on the top right and a search box on the top left.