Over the weekend, I finally received my Cingular 8525 (a.k.a. HTC Hermes) mobile phone. Here are some observations:
- Navigating the phone with the touch screen is fast and easy. (The exception is the camera; I am still learning its touch screen interface.)
- The touch screen dialing is convenient and straightforward now that I'm getting over my expectation of a separate numeric keypad.
- Synchronizing contact, calendar, e-mail, and tasks with Outlook took me a long time to get working properly, almost exclusively due to problems with Microsoft's ActiveSync software.
- The SMS synchronization software I installed works beautifully. Now copies of all of the text messages I send and receive automatically are stored in Outlook on my computer.
- The speakerphone is clear and sufficiently loud.
- The slide-out QWERTY keyboard is very handy for typing out text messages, e-mails, and Word/Excel documents.
- Wi-fi initially seemed to work well, but now it seems flaky, and configuring it is a bit confusing.